Throw A Potluck In Arizona And You Could Be Thrown In Jail

, , Leave a comment

Here is some food for thought: If you host a potluck dinner in Arizona, you could be breaking the law.

Seriously.

The anti-potluck legal situation started years ago when the state passed a law that subjected all served food to safety regulations and health department inspections, according to the Daily Signal.

The lawmakers explicitly exempted potlucks and other “noncommercial social events” if they occurred at a workplace, but forgot to add schools, churches and homes.

As a result, a potluck host could be fined or even be arrested if someone complains, according to the Associated Press.

The loophole has gone unnoticed for the most part until a couple of years ago in Apache Junction when, you guessed it, someone decided to complain.

A resident of a mobile home park who was aware of the statute complained to authorities about potlucks being held by neighbors, according to AzCentral.

Pinal County deputies shut down the potluck, and that opened up a whole can of worms for State Rep. Kelly Townsend.

“I think it was a legislative oversight. We have those all the time. We go through the statutes and they’re called technical corrections, so this is kind of like a technical correction, that it wasn’t intended on shutting down all potlucks,” Townsend told AzCentral.com.

Earlier this month, Townsend got the state’s House Committee on Government and Higher Education to approve legislation saying that a potluck doesn’t have to occur at work to avoid being shut down by health officials, HavasuNews.com reports.

Townsend isn’t worried that closing the loophole will increase the amount of people getting sick.

“In the case of a potluck, the word ‘luck’ says it all,” she told the website. “So it’s up to the person to take their chances, and if they want to take part of the potluck, it’s up to them.”

The Arizona House of Representatives is voting on Townsend’s legislation today. If approved, it will then go to the Senate.

Mealbreakers

Mealbreakers

1
of

27

Kentucky Deep-Fried Paper Towel
A mom in Newcastle, England was horrified when her 7-year-old’s meal from KFC turned out to be a deep-fried paper towel. Click here to read the whole story.

SWNS

Kentucky Deep-Fried Paper Towel
A mom in Newcastle, England was horrified when her 7-year-old’s meal from KFC turned out to be a deep-fried paper towel. Click here to read the whole story.
SWNS
image

Bloody Bandaid In Pizza Hut Pizza
An upstate New York man found a bloody bandaid in baked into the crust of his Pizza Hut pizza in June of 2011. He sued after the company failed to address his concerns.
AP/HuffPost Food
image

McFeather In McNugget
In March 2012, a woman claims she found a McFeather in her McNugget.
image

Animal Toe In Spinach Artichoke Dip
Andrew Brodsky, 35, found an unidentified animal toe in his container of Sabra Spinach & Artichoke dip.
Gothamist
image

Coil In Fried Chicken
In January 2012, fifty-year-old bus driver Lajzer Grynsztajn claims he nearly choked to death on such a coil after ordering two chicken breasts and fries from JFK Fried Chicken in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Photo by Flickr user: Andrea_Nguyen
image

Mouse In Big Mac Buns
In January 2011, a mouse got trapped in a bag of Big Mac buns at a Philadelphia McDonald’s.
image

Whopper Spit Case
A deputy sheriff alleges that someone spit in his Whopper…and the case has made it to the Supreme Court as of January 2012.
Flickr: shinya
image

Semen In Yogurt
A grocery store worker pleaded guilty to handing out a semen-tainted yogurt sample at an Albuquerque market.
Alamy
image

Fingertip In Applebee’s Salad
Louisiana woman Mary Deal Chambers-Johnson sued Applebee’s for damages after she claimed a fingertip in her lunch salad gave her post-traumatic stress disorder.
Alamy
image

Fly In Yogurt
A Chinese woman found a fly in her yogurt in July 2011. When she asked for compensation, the manufacturer asked her to prove that the fly had died before she opened the container — by getting the insect autopsied. (Flies can not be autopsied.)
Thinkstock
image

Disemboweled Mouse In Packaged Salad
A couple found a disembowled mouse in their Dole packaged salad mix in June 2011. They’d already started eating the salad by the time they found the mealbreaker; they promptly vomited.
image

Human Blood On BLT & Fries
Cancer survivor Susan Mosher was outraged after she found human blood on her BLT and fries at a Cracker Barrel in Kingwood, TX, in late June of 2011.
AP
image

Caterpillar In Weight Watchers Cake
A dieting woman found a live caterpillar crawling on a Weight Watchers-brand slice of packaged cake in June 2011. She called it gross enough to put her off of cake forever.
Flickr:Chilled Phill
image

Razor Blade in Wal-Mart Ice Cream
An East Texas woman found a razor blade in a carton of Walmart ice cream in February 2011. Considering the danger, she was surprisingly understanding. She told CBS, “I think it’s just one of those random accidents that happen. When you make that much of a product and that many products, you’re bound to have a machine break.”
embed

Green Pill In Trail Mix
A Salt Lake City teen was hospitalized after biting into a mysterious green pill in a bag of trail mix she’d bought at Whole Foods in January 2011. The teen felt numbness and pain throughout her throat. Whole Foods recalled the product from stores around Utah.
embed

Condom In French Onion Soup
A California man claimed to find a condom in his French onion soup at a Clam Jumper restaurant, also in July 2009. The restaurant’s PR firm said that they found no evidence of wrongdoing after conducting an investigation of the matter.
Flickr:saebaryo
image

Used Tampon In Steak
In July 2009, a German tourist claimed to find a used tampon in his steak at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York.
Flickr:djnordic
image

Dead Mouse In Bread
In 2009, a man from Bath, UK found a dead mouse in a loaf of bread.
image

Paperclips In Muffins
At the height of the Beijing Olympics, reporters pounced on the Chinese food industry after athletes found paperclips in muffins served them at an official function. The story’s most surprising revelation may just be that Olympic athletes eat muffins.
Flickr:Nicola since 1972
image

Live Bullet In Hot Dog
No one said hot dogs promote longevity, but it’s not like eating a frankfurter is as dangerous as someone sticking a gun in your face–unless your name is Olivia Chaines and you’re eating it Costco. The then-31-year-old had swallowed a piece of a Hebrew National brand hotdog in the shopping aisle of a Costco in May 2004 before she realized that it contained a piece of metal. X-rays revealed that the hot dog had contained a live bullet.
MediaWiki
image

Semen In Spicy Tuna Sushi Sauce
A New York woman sued a sushi bar after she tasted semen in the sauce atop her spicy tuna in June 2008; she says she still has samples frozen in her refrigerator.
Thinkstock
image

Rodent Tooth In Planter’s Peanuts
In 2006, a 52-year-old man from Illinois sued Kraft Foods for $55,000 to compensate for the physical and emotional distress he suffered after allegedly biting into a “non-human animal tooth” in a container of Planter’s Peanuts.
Flickr:EuroMagic
image

Gold Tooth In Mars Bar
Finding a golden ticket in your candy bar is great. But a gold tooth? Not so much. That’s what happened to a 62-year-old British man in September of 2007. He contacted Mars to try and receive compensation, but got no substantive response.
Flickr:Like_the_Grand_Canyon
image

Human Skin In Chicken Sandwich
Kitchen accidents happen. Knives are sharp; sometimes a cook will slice off a piece of skin the course of an evening. It’s understandable. Not understandable? Failing to clean up the product of an accident. That, apparently, is what happened at an Ohio Arby’s in June 2007, when a man found a piece of human skin sitting on the lettuce in his chicken sandwich. The man sued, refusing a settlement that Arby’s initially offered him.
Flickr:EuroMagic
image

Mouse In Popeye’s Fried Chicken
A Baltimore man was eating fried chicken from Popeye’s in September of 2003 when he discovered that the fast food store had inadvertently fried a mouse along with the chicken parts.
Flickr:jcmedina
image

Syringe In Burger King Burger
In June of 2001, 22-year-old Angelina Cruz bit into a burger from Burger King–and got pricked in the tongue by a syringe. Citing HIV fears, she sued the chain for $9 million.
Flickr:shinya
image

Worm In McNugget
Fast food fan Nikki Sanders had a not-so Happy Meal when she bought McDonalds for her four-year-old daughter. The 30-year-old canteen worker said she discovered what looked like a WORM hanging out of the batter surrounding a Chicken McNugget.
BPM Media
image

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2016/02/18/throw-a-potluck-in-arizona-and-you-could-be-thrown-in-jail_n_9266864.html